| Home | About the NCSI | What is a Secular Institute? | NCSI Member Institutes | Contact | Links |
The Leaven

Carmelite logo Our Lady of Mount Carmel


The Leaven web page

The Leaven, the Institute of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, was founded in 1949 at Aylesford by Fr Killian Lynch, then Prior General of the Carmelite Order, and Joan and Winifred Swingler.

The members live separately in their own homes and work in the world in offices, hospitals, schools or factories, in order to bring Christ into every encounter, occupation and place. They show their total dedication to Christ by taking vows of poverty, celibacy and obedience. They say the Divine Office each day, give time to prayer and attend Mass where possible. The life of Mary, mother of Carmel, is the model for the members of the Leaven in their daily lives, hidden as she was.

Back to Member Institutes